Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Amazon and King Soopers both suck.

So Boyfriend and I do joint Christmases.  Which I feel is important, and which we both really enjoy.  And our families really enjoy it.  Well, for the most part.  Neither of them like sharing us.  But if that's my biggest holiday complaint, then I count myself pretty darn blessed.

Anyway.  This last Christmas, my Grandma bought Boyfriend a gift card to Amazon, and a couple other things on the list we gave her.  Boyfriend missed Christmas with my family because he was vomiting all morning, and so we unwrapped his present that night when I brought them home, as an attempt to cheer him up and make him feel better.  Afterward, we stayed with his parents, and then brought all of our gifts home a couple of days later.

Now, keep in mind, Grandma is not the most tech savvy person.  Grandma and Grandpa own a computer that I believe still runs Windows 95.  They have never been on the internet.  Their cell phone is basically for decorative purposes.  Eventually, I hope to get them hooked up to the internet, and connected to email.  Grandma says it'll happen in a year or two.  Keep your fingers crossed that one day Grandma can friend me on Facebook!  ;-)  Anywho, the point is, Grandma bought Boyfriend's gift card at King Soopers, from one of their little gift card centers.  Okay, moving on.

TWO WEEKS LATER:  We finally got around to cleaning up all of our Christmas stuff, when we realized that our six month inspection for our apartment was around the corner.  We took all of the gifts out of boxes and bags, and threw away all the trash, and somewhere along the way, I'm pretty sure I threw away Boyfriend's gift card.

Well, about a week ago, Boyfriend was looking for his gift card, and realized it was gone.  We searched high and low for it before he told me that he had never removed it from the fancy gift card box my Grandmother had given it to him in.  A gift card box that I very distinctly recalled throwing away.

Well, I called Grandma, and she mailed us the receipt, which arrived yesterday.  (Grandma keeps all of her Christmas receipts until February.  A better idea than I normally would have expected.)  And so I started calling to try and have the gift card in some way reissued. 

I started with Amazon, as the gift card was for Amazon.  I sat on hold for a long time, and eventually the woman I was speaking to came back on the line to tell me that Amazon took no responsibility for gift cards bought in grocery stores.  Which I sort of understand, I can see how they would have a hard time tracking that sort of thing.  They advised me to call the store it was purchased from.  And so I did.

I called the store, and went through customer service, an assistant manager, and a store manager.  Eventually they told me that I would need to call Amazon to have it sorted out.  This frustrated me a little, but I asked the woman on the phone for a corporate phone number for King Soopers, and left for classes, thinking I would pick up the phone again after I learned some stuff and got a little less agitated.

This afternoon, after classes, I picked up my phone and called 1-800-677-KING.  This is the number for Home Shop and Loyalty Card services, which is nothing close to King Soopers corporate number.  However, I thought it might be worth a shot, so I hit zero a couple of times and talked to the woman who came on the phone.  It wasn't worth my time at all.  So I got off the phone, and looked up the actual corporate number for King Soopers. 

To make a very looooong story short, I called five different King Soopers Hotlines before I got a woman that knew exactly what needed to be done, gave me the 16 digit gift card number, and told me to call Amazon and have them credit the card to my account.  Three different women told me that there was nothing could be done, that lost gift cards were treated like cash and could not be replaced, and that I was calling the wrong company.

It's seriously like nobody knew what was going on.  Boyfriend thinks it might be an anti-theft measure, because a thief wouldn't go to allll of that work.  I think that the people that work in call centers just have no idea what the eff they're doing.

Anyway, I spent between two and three hours on the phone with these people, and finally got Boyfriend's gift card reissued.  Life is good.  Considering calling them again tomorrow, to explain to them how wrong they all were.  Not sure if I care that much.

Anyway, morals of this story:

1. Buy gift cards directly from the stores they are for.  This would have cut out a lot of hassle for me today.  Not that I blame my grandma, of course.  But still.  It's a good idea.

2.  Never take "Nothing we can do about it" as a final answer.  Not true.

3.  If you buy gift cards from King Soopers, and lose them, and still have the receipt, call this phone number:  1-866-544-8062.

Anyway, that's all there is today, just my adventure on the phone with Idiocy personified.  See ya later, interwebs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment